52 World Championship 2017
Azzurra, the sporting symbol of the Yacht Club Costa Smeralda, is lined up with the other TP52s on the central dock of Marina di Puerto Portals, not far from Palma de Mallorca. Nine high tech boats with teams made up of some of the world’s most famous sailors: Olympic champions, VOR vets and America’s Cup racers all will be competing in this event.
In 2015 Azzurra won the TP52 World Championship in Puerto Portals and went on to win the 52 Super Series in Cascais. Today the boat flying the YCCS burgee is beginning the second to last event in the Series in the lead, but well aware of how strong and competitive the rest of the fleet is. Platoon and Quantum are right behind her. The previous four events in the 2017 Series have been won by four different teams; Azzurra herself won in Miami. There is no clear favourite because all of the teams are strong and competitive.
Overall Standings 52 SUPER SERIES (4 events)
1. Azzurra (Familia Roemmers, ITA/ARG), 146 pts.
2. Platoon (GER, Harm Müller-Spreer), 147 pts.
3. Quantum Racing (Doug DeVos, USA), 152 pts.
4. Provezza (Ergin Imre, TUR) 180.3 pts.
5. Rán Racing (Niklas Zennström, SWE), 186 pts.
6. Bronenosec (Vladimir Liubomirov, RUS), 200 pts.
7. Gladiator (Tony Langley, GBR) 219.6 pts.
8. Sled (Takashi Okura, USA), 226 pts.
9. Alegre (Andrés Soriano GBR/USA), 255.5 pts.
10. Sorcha (Peter Harrison, GBR), 316 pts.
11. Paprec (Jean-Luc Petithuguenin, FRA) 354 pts.
The TP 52 Class
The 52 Super Series is a circuit of sailing competitions of the "TP 52" class of yachts. TP stands for Transpac, which means "transpacific" and refers to the former Transpacific Race from near Los Angeles to Hawaii. This race was the original competition for this boat class before it became popular in Europe and other parts of the world. 52 refers to the length of the yachts, which is defined to 52 feet.
Despite its big dimensions, the TP 52 class is well-known for being fast, very light-weight, and flexibly maneuverable. The yachts' specifications allow both inshore and offshore usage.
Race Schedule for the 2017 52 SUPER SERIES
- Quantum Key West Race Week, January 16– 20.
- 52 SUPER SERIES Miami Royal Cup, March 6 – 11.
- TP52 World Championship SCARLINO 2017, Scarlino, May 15 – 20.
- Porto Cervo 52 SUPER SERIES Sailing Week, June 20 – 25.
- Puerto Portals 52 SUPER SERIES Sailing Week, July 23 – 28.
- Menorca 52 SUPER SERIES Sailing Week, September 18 – 23.