The finale to the season takes us to Menorca in September. Menorca, one of two new venues for the 2016 season quickly won a place in the hearts of the fleet owing to its picturesque landscape, relaxed atmosphere and great food.
Overall Standings 52 SUPER SERIES (after 5 events)
1. Azzurra (Familia Roemmers, ITA/ARG), 177 pts.
2. Platoon (GER, Harm Müller-Spreer), 183 pts.
3. Quantum Racing (Doug DeVos, USA), 190 pts.
4. Provezza (Ergin Imre, TUR) 216.3 pts.
5. Rán Racing (Niklas Zennström, SWE), 236 pts.
6. Bronenosec (Vladimir Liubomirov, RUS), 245 pts.
7. Sled (Takashi Okura, USA), 265 pts
8. Gladiator (Tony Langley, GBR) 294.6 pts.
9. Alegre (Andrés Soriano GBR/USA), 317.3 pts.
10. Sorcha (Peter Harrison, GBR), 390 pts.
52 World Championship 2017 in Menorca
Menorca is, owing to its geographical and environmental characteristics, an ideal place for outdoor sports. Declared a “Biosphere Reserve” in 1993, the Balearic island can boast that it is one of the best preserved of the Mediterranean islands, and also one of the most beautiful. Coves, ravines and cliffs offer a visual spectacle of the first degree for anyone who decides to go its coast; especially sailors.
But the quality of Menorca as a tourist and sports destination is not solely based on its excellent natural conditions. The facilities and services also play an important role, and Menorca has a full and established position in this field.
The port of Mahón is a clear example of this: with stunning views for five kilometres. Its length makes it the world’s second largest natural harbour, and its appeal is growing thanks to the high level of port equipment and complementary services available.
The Club Maritime Mahón has been instrumental in the economic and social development of the port. The club is a non-profit organisation with more than half a century of history and dozens of sports competitions to its credit.
The TP 52 Class
The 52 Super Series is a circuit of sailing competitions of the "TP 52" class of yachts. TP stands for Transpac, which means "transpacific" and refers to the former Transpacific Race from near Los Angeles to Hawaii. This race was the original competition for this boat class before it became popular in Europe and other parts of the world. 52 refers to the length of the yachts, which is defined to 52 feet.
Despite its big dimensions, the TP 52 class is well-known for being fast, very light-weight, and flexibly maneuverable. The yachts' specifications allow both inshore and offshore usage.
Race Schedule for the 2017 52 SUPER SERIES
- Quantum Key West Race Week, January 16– 20.
- 52 SUPER SERIES Miami Royal Cup, March 6 – 11.
- TP52 World Championship SCARLINO 2017, Scarlino, May 15 – 20.
- Porto Cervo 52 SUPER SERIES Sailing Week, June 20 – 25.
- Puerto Portals 52 SUPER SERIES Sailing Week, July 23 – 28.
- Menorca 52 SUPER SERIES Sailing Week, September 18 – 23.